Windows Update stuck downloading/Installing updates in Windows 10
This can become a problem if you have not been doing your updates regularly.
I have found that the below helps to resolve the problem.
- Open an Admin Command Prompt. To do this click start and type CMD. Right click on cmd and choose “Run as Administrator”. In the cmd window type the below
- Net stop wuauserv
- Net stop bits
- Once both services have stopped move onto the next stage. If the wuauserv service doesn’t stop do the bits one and then retry the wuauserv.
- Open file explorer and browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
- Delete all files within this directory. If they don’t delete make sure the services are still stopped as Windows 10 will try and automatically restart them.
- Once the directory is empty go back to the CMD window and type the below
- Net start wuauserv
- net start bits
- Retry your windows updates and the should install. You may have to do this more than once.
You can also use the link for Windows Update Troubleshooter to check for other error that need fixing.